To Hire or Not to Hire: That is the Question
So your company needs to take the next step up and make some changes to ensure that you fit into all the guidelines in the latest revision. There are lots of changes made in each new revision and it is key that you stay on top of them to continue running a successful and legal organization. There is no better way to prove that your company takes quality management and any possible risks seriously. Providing both employees and other businesses with confidence when using your services!
There are a few key questions on most people’s mind when considering whether or not to hire a consultant for AS9100. First is what is a consultant and what can they do for your organization? Well, a consultant’s job is to come into the business and workout what needs changing and how these changes can be implemented.
Although this won’t be an easy process it will definitely be worth it in the long run. They will use their expertise in the Aerospace and defense industry to make sure that everything is running smoothly. This will mean that you can apply for and gain the latest certification. This will undoubtedly increase your businesses reputation and ensure that you meet the latest industry standards.
Secondly how much will it cost you to hire an experienced and qualified consultant? Well, there are a couple of factors which can influence the overall price. One of the obvious influences on the price will be the length of time you wish to hire a consultant. If you know that there will be a lot of changes that need to be made then you’ll probably have to offer a lengthy contract; therefore leading to more costs. Also, the experience and reputation of the consultant you decide to hire will also have a massive effect on the cost. Although we must admit it is worth the extra money for a guaranteed professional that will benefit your business!
Right, so you’ve decided you’re going to hire a consultant and want to know what you should look for when searching for somebody to employ, what knowledge and qualifications they should have and an estimated cost for their services. Below we will go over some of the main things that you should expect from a consultant and what they should bring to your organization.
- Should be an expert in every area of the industry, meaning they can provide advice and show you the right way to make changes and update your policies etc.
- Help you gain the AS9100 certification using multiple different techniques.
- Provide training to yourself and another staff member to ensure that they are also up to date with all of the latest rules and regulation. Bear in mind that your staff are one of the key parts of your business and shouldn’t be ignored. Many parts of the new certification also include rules surrounding your employees.
- Assist in the creation of new documents including quality manuals, forms and much more. This can be a massive help in many parts of your business and be a massive aid in your battle to gain the latest certification
- An experienced consultant should be able to review your management systems and tell you if anything needs changing or updating. Management systems are the guideline for how most of your business will be run from the top down so it is key to ensure each system follows the latest guidelines and works for your organization.
- Specific certification training (in this case AS9100) with all of the needed knowledge and information. It will be difficult to find anyone who is as knowledgeable when it comes to the latest updates in the AS9100 and you’ll be able to ask a consultant any question from around the industry and receive a factual and professional answer; as well as coming up with viable solutions to any
You could spend anywhere up to $50,000 dollars on a Consultant, although the overall amount you spend is down to you and your business’s needs. Although the AS9100 is on the in the upper range of the scale which means you’ll probably have to spend quite a lot if you’re looking for a professional, well-known consultant.
Could you just do it yourself?
Many business owners in this industry have decided that it isn’t worth the extra cost and started making these changes themselves. There is nothing stopping you from having a go at making the necessary adjustments yourself, although we can guarantee this will be a lengthy and difficult process. If you only have a few small changes that need to be made then we would recommend having a go at it yourself before you splash the cash on a consultant. There are a couple of tips and tricks that will definitely come in handy throughout the process!
First, is at the start make a list of all the changes that will need to be made. This way each time something is done and dusted you can tick it off the list. If you are running a massive organization there will probably already be enough on your mind and it would be hard to keep up to date all the time, without a checklist you’d end up forgetting what has and hasn’t been done.
Our second piece of advice is; don’t try to do it all by yourself! You have a load of employees who could help you implement these changes so make sure they know what their role is and you aren’t trying to do too much. We have seen many cases where a business owner thinks they can do it all but instead end up with half of the expected work done when it’s time to be audited. You don’t always need to fork out for an experienced consultant for a bit of advice in different areas of your business. There should be multiple people you can turn to for this including friends, family and staff members!
Last but not lease, make sure you give yourself enough time and make a plan before making any changes! This way you can ensure that everything will be done on time without any issues (if everything goes according to plan). Plus you will be able to leave yourself some spare time in case there are any issues, and just to relax. An effective plan will include all of the jobs other employees will have, changes that need to be made, how you will effectively implement them and a reliable timescale for each task. At the end of the process, you will be thankful that you decided to make this in-depth plan
Whether you decide to have a go at making the changes yourself or hire a professional we hope that you manage to successfully gain this certification without too much hassle. If you have enough funds we would normally recommend that your organization hires a consultant. This way you can guarantee all the changes you make are the right ones and you’re not wasting your time! If you want to learn more about the AS9100 Standard or the aerospace industry standards on a larger scale be sure to check out some of our other articles.