AS9100 aerospace is an international standard which focuses on the basic requirements for the quality management system of an organization. The areas of focus of the standard are maintaining the quality of the product being developed along with the other factors such as safety, service and customer satisfaction. The organization must make sure that they manufacture products which are according to the requirements set by the customers and follow the regulatory requirements defined by the AS9100 standard. The suppliers and business giants all over the world mostly prefer to work with organizations prevailing the AS9100 certification.
The certifications are not issued by the AS9100 by itself, but there exist some certifying bodies who follow the steps defined by the standard and award the certification to the potential organizations. The AS9100 standard follows the footsteps of its predecessor, which is the ISO 9001 standard. It defines different ways through which the companies working in the aerospace industry can fulfill the reliability and quality needs of their customers.
The rules set by the AS9100 standard are as follows:
- The organization following the AS9100 standard must generate a document defining the ways through which they maintain the quality management system of their organization. This must include the details of procedures such as performance, safety, service and reliability of the product.
- The standard focuses on planning for in process verification for the product when it cannot be verified later when being manufactured. Moreover, the tooling design should also be considered while using the process control methodology to capture the process data.
- The design and development activities must be planned in advance to carry on the design process successfully. All of the relevant data which is related to the product development, manufacturing, inspection and quality control is collected to represent the quality management system to the certifying body.
- Methods for completing the design and development verification are defined by the AS9100 standard. It requires the submission of complete verification document to the certifying body which is followed by the progress report given to the organization.
- The AS9100 standard consists of different ways to identify and maintain the suppliers. Selecting the supplier might be the most important part of product manufacturing as you will have to develop strong relations with them.
- You will be required to appoint a staff representative who will be communicating with the auditor from the certifying body. The representative must possess excellent communication skills so that he can explain the overall organizational performance in an efficient manner.
- The procedure through which your company examines the supplier and tests their products. Make sure you perform extensive research before finalizing your supplier. The quality of your product could only be ensured is you are getting the raw material from a trusted supplier.